Saturday, December 09, 2006

December 10, 2006

Josh

I was just beginning to write about Josh when he rang my doorbell. He needed to borrow an extension cord to work on his car. Josh and I talk a lot. He has shared his life with me, much of it dark and depressing - - - abuse, drugs, jail, and only he and God know what else. I remember seeing Josh move his girlfriend and her three children into the apartment right across the street from me. For some reason, right from the start we hit it off. Josh and I talked one night about what it would mean if he married his girlfriend. We talked and after a bit I told him that if he got a marriage license I would perform a wedding ceremony. One night the doorbell rang and it was Josh with a marriage license in his hand. I knew a wedding would happen before the day was out. At first it was going to be in our backyard but soon it was moved into the church. While those on the porch helped the bride get ready, my son and I prepared a "surprise" reception. We bought a cake, iced down some sodas, and found a card table and tablecloth. The day before someone had given us some plastic ware wrapped in a napkin and tied with a brightly colored ribbon. At the agreed-upon time, we went into the church and they were married. They celebrated all the way home. My son and I quickly set up the reception in his front yard. As my son and I slid into the shadows, we saw the neighbors join the celebration. Cake was cut, cokes were shared, and congratulations were heard all around the neighborhood.

Josh will tell you he struggles. Money doesn't come easily for him. He makes his money selling blood plasma, making $200.00 per month if he goes twice a week. He worries about his family and sometimes wonders where the money he needs will come from. He finally got a break; he enlisted in the National Guard, working very hard to complete all the requirements that are needed to get in. He and his wife have both secured jobs. He is working on his car to get it ready to go to work. His wife will drive to work. He will ride a bike to his new job. Josh is generous; he has helped me many times, mowing the grass, unloading cars and trucks that often show up at the church filled with donations, sorting clothing, and loading trucks with stuff that will be given out throughout the neighborhood. His wife works right along beside him. I have a great deal of respect for Josh. He really wants to do the right things, support his family, and be happy. He often struggles, has doubts, and is tempted to go backwards. Josh can have a temper; his wife sometimes says she has four kids as Josh is bouncing off the wall again. Each day my respect grows. When I look at Josh I see a man who is not afraid to take chances, does not easily give up, a hard worker, and a man of his word. Josh is a great example of what can happen when given a second chance. After all, isn't that what Christmas is all about? It is about a God who loves us so much that he is willing to give the world another chance to know him. Jesus was sent into the world not to condemn the world but to give the world another chance. What a gift - - - another chance. And there is more: God gives us a third, fourth, fifth, hundredth, or even a millionth chance. Just like Josh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home